Thursday, July 26, 2007

Scientific Literacy: Drafting Plans

Earlier this week I addressed my disgust over the rates of scientific literacy around the world as well as here in the United States. They are appalling low, so much so that I'm stirred to action.

My first small scale idea: starting a program/club at Duke University, where I currently attend, to advocate scientific literacy. The club would sponsor talks directed at the layman. Know of anyone particularly good at explaining complex topics in simple and enlightening terms? Also, we are committed to inspiring the generations to come to find science both exciting and inspiring. Enter Durham public schools. Oh, the moldable masses.

Steps:
  1. Club formation
  2. Mission statement
  3. Fund raising
  4. Advocacy
  5. Work the media
Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any lovely suggestions.

No comments: